Friday, October 13, 2006

EBSCO RSS Success?

There was some discussion on Information Wants To Be Free last week about difficulty in getting results from RSS feeds for keyword searches in EBSCO databases. I followed the somewhat confusing instructions and set up a feed yesterday for "podcast* AND librar*" in Academic Search Premier since I was looking for articles for a bibliography. I added said feed to Bloglines and this morning I had article links! I must have set it up to run every day since they were all the same articles I looked at yesterday, but I did manage to get results.

Wish I had some sort of magic tip to report, but I have no idea why it worked for me and not others. Of course it could have just been a fluke too. I guess the real test will be to see if I ever get any new articles.

3 Comments:

At 1:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

David, when you get a chance, could you post the feed that was generated so I can check it against what I got, and also so I can plug it in to my aggregator to see if it works there?

 
At 12:51 PM, Blogger David said...

Hey Paul - In SF and just checking blog. Heres he feed link. I actually had 2 new items when I checked Bloglines just now. See you in Monterey.

http://rss.epnet.com/AlertSyndicationService/Syndication.asmx/GetFeed?guid=793505

 
At 12:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks David, I finally got mine to work too - seems it doesn't do anything until a day passes and the search is run within the database, which is counter to every other RSS feed I've plugged in to my aggregator. I guess I expect to see something right away to verify that it's working!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home