Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Gotta Move On

Sorry for the lack of non-presentation related blogging lately. I have been incredibly busy with said presentations and work. Another reason for lack of said blogging is that I've been involved in interviewing for a new job. I'm leaving my current position here at Georgia Perimeter at the end of June, moving to Chicago, and starting work at ACRL as editor of College and Research Libraries News (along with some marketing and PR work) in the middle of July.

Moving from the academic world to the association and publishing setting is going to be pretty huge, but also exciting. I have a graduate degree in English along with my MLIS and had considered working in editing/ publishing in the past. So now I'm going to get to combine both areas of interest in one position. I also hope to be able to do some new things with the online version of C&RL News. I'm not sure what or how quickly anything will change, but I think it is on the radar.

I'm going to also use the move and new job to greatly reduce the amount of speaking I've been doing. I'm getting somewhat burned out on talking about podcasting and really think the topic, or at least me talking about it, is reaching saturation. I'm sure I'll do a few talks here and there, maybe about other things, but after fulfilling the commitments I have the rest of the year it will greatly diminish.

I don't foresee much changing with my blog though. I don't really talk about my work much outside of specific projects, so I expect that to continue. And do more writing about general library topics and other random things. The podcasting content will continue too as I'm still very interested in creating podcasts and keeping up with the technology. Although posts may be pretty spotty and involve ALA Annual and complaining about travelling for the next month or so!

Thanks for reading!

Labels: ,

20 Comments:

At 2:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great news! I wish you the best. If you need any advice for the big move, don't bother me, I'm too busy moving!

 
At 3:26 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

holy crap! and congrats. how good is the bbq there? because I don't eat hotdogs

 
At 3:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful news. Good luck!

 
At 4:14 PM, Blogger David said...

Thanks y'all! I'll take your extra boxes Tom. Ha.

Jennifer - I think there are some good BBQ places but you have to look for em. The couple I've been to were acceptable but nothing special. If you ever go to Hot Doug's you will become a hot dog beliver. Come up sometime and we'll go.

http://www.hotdougs.com/

 
At 5:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey that's great! Congratulations David - Think we'll still see you at IL in Monterey?

 
At 8:06 PM, Blogger David said...

Paul - Yeah, I'm doing preconference w/ DLK so definitely going. Will be great to see y'all again!

 
At 9:55 PM, Blogger Greg Schwartz said...

Gosh, burned out on talking about podcasting? Unheard of! It's funny, but I've been away from it for so long, I almost find it interesting again. Almost.

 
At 12:35 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I am so thrilled to finally be able to congratulate you publicly! Welcome aboard and get on over here already! I couldn't be happier, for us and for you :)

 
At 11:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good News! C & RL NEWS is a great publication. congratulations

 
At 1:19 PM, Blogger Janie L. Hermann said...

Awesome News! Congratulations -- it sounds like this job is a perfect match for you.

 
At 1:48 PM, Blogger Chris said...

Congrats, Dave.

 
At 2:34 PM, Blogger amanda said...

Awesome! congrats, David :) Can't wait to hear more about life in the association/publishing world. Sounds like an excellent fit for you - all the very best!

 
At 5:28 PM, Blogger David said...

Thanks again y'all. I'm pretty excited about the job and move.

Greg - Maybe we can trade of the podcasting speaking on a yearly basis. Ha.

 
At 6:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Dave,

Congratulations on your new job. It sounds really good and very well suited for your background and expertise. I am very happy for you! I know that you and Laura love Chicago as do a lot of people I know including me. : ) Is your job in the city or in one of the burbs?

Love, Molly

 
At 5:21 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Congratulations David,

I look forward to working with you at ACRL.

 
At 10:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ditto to ther above salutations! gOOD LUCK ON THE MOVE

 
At 8:00 AM, Blogger ruth said...

The city is planning a giant food fest to celebrate your arrival!

http://tinyurl.com/2ry7ov

There will be tons of BBQ.

And regarding the hot dogs, you haven't really had one in Chicago until you drive up to SuperDawg and order through the squawk box.

http://www.superdawg.com

Congratulations on the new job and get to Chicago already!

 
At 11:54 AM, Blogger David said...

Thanks folks.

Ruth - I've had SuperDawg at Midway but never had car in Chi for the full on drive thru experience. Will prob be there end of first week of July. We'll def have to get lunch dring my week of unemployment.

 
At 5:58 PM, Blogger Sarah Houghton-Jan said...

Congratulations David! I wish you the best on your new move. New jobs are always exciting :) As a Chicago-native, I can recommend all sorts of good things, but my first tip would be a trip to Lou Malnati's, the best deep dish pizza place known to humankind.

 
At 11:12 PM, Blogger David said...

Sarah - Yum, I'll give it a shot ASAP. Send along any other good Chi recs too. Thanks for the congrats too!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home