Thursday, June 14, 2007

Welcome To The Twitterverse

Back in April at Computers In Libraries I was asked by my friends Michelle, Karen and Jason to participate in something they were planning for ALA Annual through the LITA BIGWIG group called Super Secret Project #2. SSP #2 is now known as the BIGWIG Social Software Showcase. It is an online "unconference" happening at the same time as Annual with 11 presentations on up to the minute, cutting edge technology topics. The kinds of things that the realities of planning a huge, major conference like Annual make very difficult to cover. I was glad to contribute as all three of them are good friends and very, very innovative and cool librarians. I knew a couple of the people who were doing talks, but had no idea I would end up on a program with Michael Casey, Karen Schneider, Jessamyn West, Tim Spalding and all the other amazing folks.

My talk is a screencast called "Welcome To The Twitterverse". It is an introduction to Twitter and how libraries and librarians are using the service. My PIC David Lee King contributed the second part of our Twit-O-Rama called "i r fluffin yr twitterz", which covers cool Twitter applications and mash-ups like Twitbin.

I think my screencast turned out pretty well, although I wish I had scripted the audio a little more. Here's a comment from Josh Neff on Twitter about it:

Radio Free Twitter?

I'm not 100% sure that's a compliment, but I'll take it as Peter Buck was my hero when I was in high school in Athens in the mid-80s. Visit the BIGWIG wiki site and see for yourself. And make sure to watch all of the other presentations as they come online over the next week.

Both David King and myself should be at the Social Software Showcase roundtable discussion at Annual to talk Twitter. It is being held on Saturday, June 23 from 1:30-2:30pm in the Renaissance Mayflower Cabinet Room. Come by and chat with us.

6/14 Update:
What do you think? Is Twitter a good tool for libraries and librarians? Watch the presentation and leave a comment on this post. Or just leave a comment and discuss all matters Twit.

Labels: ,

16 Comments:

At 10:49 AM, Blogger Royce said...

Love the Twitter, and the Twitbin is a nice little feature.

Still trying to get my twitter/facebook application to work.

 
At 11:16 AM, Blogger Joshua M. Neff said...

It's absolutely, 100% meant as a compliment. I've been an R.E.M. fan for a long time, and I love their Georgia accents. Your presentation's great, David, and as the other David (King) said, you're a rock star!

 
At 12:19 PM, Blogger David said...

Royce - I haven't had a chance to play with the Facebook ap but have seen it successfully in use. I'll post about it if I get a chance to play sometime soonish.

Josh - Ha! I figured it was complimentary but you never know. It's weird tho because I don't think I have much of a southern accent. But maybe just not as much as some folks around here. Thanks for the props. And look for my presentation rider on Smoking Gun someday.

 
At 1:08 PM, Blogger jdscott50 said...

Not to sound egotistical, but why aren't you mentioning libraries that are actually using twitter? I mean, if you are trying to advertise how great it is, wouldn't it be a better incentive to get libraries on board by showing libraries doing it? You can see some here:

http://www.davidleeking.com/2007/05/09/twittering-libraries/

and again, my plug, my post about how I am using twitter:

http://gathernodust.blogspot.com/2007/04/twitter-update-or-how-i-was-able-to.html

 
At 1:59 PM, Blogger David said...

Jeff - If you watch the screencast you'll see that I actually do talk about and show how four different libraries and library organizations, including your library, are using Twitter. And about how Twitter is being used as a means of collaboration and community building between individual librarians. There are also links to those libraries on the wiki page for the session. Again including a link to your library's Twitter feed.

I wasn't aware of your blog but will also add a link to the post you mentioend here in the "Learn More.." section. You give a great overview of how you went about incorporating Twitter at your library. Great job!

 
At 5:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

David, great presentation. I am struggling to get Twitterfeed to recognize the feed for Twitterprose. Everything seems to work up to that point, and everything checks out, but the feed itself won't post. Any ideas?

Also, what is the protocol for reciprocating friend requests if your twitter accuont is a bot or a service? Should Twitterprose friend back?

 
At 9:35 AM, Blogger David said...

Karen - Hmmm, I've played with Twitterfeed a little but not enough to troubleshoot it for you. Although it could just be random Twitter weirdness. I know I don't get all of the tweets from my friends. Maybe ask David King?

I don't see why you shouldn't friend back. It doesn't sound like you're really going to be watching what folks are doing from that feed, but you could have a nice group of friend pics on your page. "I have 9,000 friends!"

On the other hand, I don't think anyone would be offended if you didn't since it is more of a service.

 
At 1:58 PM, Blogger jdscott50 said...

David,

Thanks for the changes. I must of missed that in the presentation online. Thanks for the presentation. It looks great.

 
At 5:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

David,
Thanks so much for the presentation. We take it to heart that you presented Twitbin first, much appreciated. I'm glad you use our application and I'm glad you enjoy it enough to spread the joy.
We are working on a few upgrades currently. Look for our next verion to have time stamps among a few goodies that I can't say just yet. We are hoping to release it before the end of this month.
Again thanks a lot, and if you have any ideas, suggestions or comments, I'd truly like to hear from you. Feel free to email me or to post a comment on our blog.
Thanks again!
Xavier

 
At 7:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

David, thank you for the great presentation. I'm not personally a user of twitter, but have been wondering how libraries might use it. Also, I've been pondering the sudden explosion of undergraduate student use of Facebook feeds (in much the same way people use twitter) and how that might be used in libraries.

I especially enjoyed your Coda addition. Very informative.

 
At 11:13 AM, Blogger David said...

Xavier - Thanks for the comment. The other David (or the cooler David either way) talked about Twitbin. I'll make sure to take a look at the new version though. I use it from time to time on my laptop.

Laurie - Thanks! I'm intrigued by the new Facebook activity too. Think there is lots of potential for libraries to develop some cool applications there, like the UIUC catalog search. Look me up if you're going to Annual.

 
At 2:20 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Worldwide client base in the mobile communications space. See the details at
www.icoft.com/roke.html
any clarification at
icoft123@gmail.com

 
At 6:22 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Worldwide client base in the mobile communications space.See the details at www.icoft.com/roke.html

 
At 6:22 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

WORLDWIDE client base in the cell phone sector. Tremendous opportunity to get in the stock now. Check out how big the opportunity is at www.icoft.com/roke.html

 
At 6:23 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

This company stock (ROKE) is set to take off. Worldwide client base in the mobile communications space. See the details at www.icoft.com/roke.html

 
At 6:34 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

WORLDWIDE client base in the cell phone sector. Tremendous opportunity to get in the stock now. Check out how big the opportunity is at www.icoft.com/roke.html

 

Post a Comment

<< Home