Thursday, December 20, 2007

I'm Waiting for The Day

Are you waiting for the day when I blog again? Then you are in luck.

A couple of TV ads grabbed my attention in the past day or two, one I like OK and the other really bugs me. The OK one is the Burger King campaign where they take away the Whopper for a day and film customer's reactions hidden camera style. People get pretty worked up! About a burger. I like that BK does interesting, kinda edgy campaigns like the weird plastic King and the Subvervient Chicken. But as a former BK employee, I feel bad for the folks working in the restaurants that had to take the abuse. Maybe they were actors. It also got me thinking about a library version, like take away the Internet for a day. Or make people pay to check out books. Or have their questions answered. Might be a good awareness tool. Or just a train wreck.

The one that really bugs me is the US Celluar ad with the young woman who has just gone off to college and is all happy that the employee at the cell phone store is nice enough to help her Dad with the bills. I didn't catch it the first couple of times, but the implication is that Dad is functionally illiterate. And daughter's solution is to rely on a semi-off-brand cell phone store employee to read his mail to him! There are adult literacy classes @ your library(r) you could point Dad to. Or some other positive community-based individual improvement resource. Anything other than just letting Dad stay illiterate and taking his bills to a cell phone store! While he is sending her off to college. Geez. Bring back Joan Cusak, I beg of you.

This week's consumable is Glenmorangie Ten Year. I'm not a big Scotch (or whiskey in general) drinker, but I had a glass when I was hanging out with my friend John the other night at my current favorite bar in the universe, the Duke of Perth. It was the perfect mix of smooth and warm and tasty. If you're looking for a non-beer compliment to an evening of excellent, wide ranging conversation, you could certainly do a lot worse.

Speaking of perfect compliments to a time or mood, a couple of weeks ago I was in a semi-bad mood so I broke down an ordered a 180 gram vinyl copy of Pet Sounds by the Beach Boys. As far as I know it's not available on vinyl domestically, and is always quite pricey when I see it in stores. But I didn't pay toooo much on ebay for it. And I'm glad I did because it was waiting for me last Friday at the end of another semi-bad day, or a day I wasn't 100% satisfied with. I can't quite put my finger on why (or maybe I'm just not going to tell you, gentle reader) but listening to that music was exactly the right thing at the right time. And made everything alright. It really is one of the best collections of songs ever. Great lyrics, amazing orchestration. Sunny and moody at the same time. But also smooth and tasty, like a good Scotch with a good friend in the best bar in Chicago.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

At 7:47 AM, Blogger T Scott said...

I'll second your thoughts about Duke of Perth. It's always high on my list of places to get to when I visit Chicago. I've been a serious scotch drinker for many years, and Duke of Perth is one of the few places I can go to anywhere where I can find something I haven't tasted before, or at least, only find very rarely.

If you're not a serious scotch drinker, but are curious, then I strongly recommend getting one of their flights -- three (or is it four) small samples of scotch that are chosen because of a certain affinity for each other, and are arranged from lightest to most robust. If I'm remembering right they've got four or five different flights depending on your interest, and it's a great way to increase your awareness of different tastes in scotch without getting too severely hammered. Scotch is like wine in that the range of flavors is vast. When people tell my they "don't like scotch" I tell them it's just that they haven't yet found the style that they like.

 
At 9:40 AM, Blogger Katie said...

I can guarantee you that at least one of the "managers" featured is an actor: Regan Burns of Halfway Home and numerous other guest TV spots.

 
At 11:07 AM, Blogger Meredith Farkas said...

Pet Sounds is one of the best albums ever made. I'm glad to see that other people under 50 love the Beach Boys as much as I do (or more... I wouldn't be willing to pay for the vinyl, but I don't have a great ear for the differences in sound quality).

I hope you have a great holiday break and I definitely look forward to seeing you at MW and CIL.

 
At 11:20 AM, Blogger David said...

Wow, Scotch and the Beach Boys get people to comment! Good to know. :)

t scott: That's is awesome that you dig the Perth. I go there enough now that the early evening bartender knows my beer choice. I'm really more of a beer than liquor drinker, but I'm going to take your suggestion and try a Scotch flight sometime. My friend John is a Scotch man, he can suggest. Let me know next time you're in town and lets get a drink.

katie: Cool! I would hope they wouldn't (further) abuse the employees like that. I don't watch enough TV to recognize guest shot actors etc.

Meredith: I actually like the more "traditional" surfing Beach Boys stuff too. But Pet Sounds is definitely one of my faves. I really don't buy CDs anymore as they just get ripped for wifi/ iPod use. So I just download most things. But have started buying/ listening to a ton of vinyl lately. It's fun to shop the new arrivals and find something neat. Definitely looking forward to MW and especially CIL. I'm gonna try to go to the blog salon if I can.

 
At 2:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, scotch will garner you comments. I've become a scotch drinker over the past few years and Duke of Perth seems like yet one more reason I have to get myself to Chicago one of these days. And by "one of these days" I don't mean winter.

You'll have to show me all your favorite watering holes in return for the Official Tombrarian Pub Crawl.

 
At 4:00 PM, Blogger David said...

tombrarian: Oh yeah, you have got to come to Chi and go on a David's Random Pub Crawl sometime. Looking forward to the Philly one for sure. What scotch do you usually drink?

 
At 4:44 PM, Blogger T Scott said...

I'm coming up in a couple of weeks for the MLA Board of Directors meeting. Often I go to Andy's for dinner the first night, but since this exchange I've been thinking about the Duke's fish n' chips, which are pretty decent, so I'm leaning toward going there (depending on weather, I suppose). Anyway, if I go, it'll be the evening of Feb. 13. I'll be the guy with the silver goatee and the black cowboy hat.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home