Wednesday, April 25, 2007

The Utopian Library

One of the best things about library conferences is meeting new people to add to your circle of friends to discuss and debate and commisserate and generally have fun. Among the great new folks I met at CIL this year were Ruth and Jenn from the Skokie (IL) Public Library. They're both very enthusiastic about implementing new programs and 2.0 tools at their library and generally making it better place for the community. Ruth is also a very good sport when it comes to actually doing silly stuff on camera in a workshop.

And now they have a blog inspired by their experiences at CIL. It's called The Utopian Library. I restarted this blog after CIL last year, so I think it is super cool to find another one born out of the same experience.

My friend, co-presenter and PC to my Mac, David Lee King, wrote the other day about how to change the unchangeable, how to take what you learn at conferences or online or wherever and actually make it work at your library, often in the face of chage averse co-workers or administration. (There's a great discussion in the comments too.) I know this isn't a solution in all cases, but really just do it! Here's a great example: Ruth and/ or Jenn went to a session by Hal Kirkwood and got a good tip on a free tool to make customized tool bars. And they went home and made a customized tool bar for their library. How cool is that?

So congrats Ruth and Jenn on your blog. I'll look forward to reading about what you guys are up to. You both rock!

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

At 10:27 AM, Blogger Jenn Phillips-Bacher said...

thanks for the link, dwf! if we get famous it's all your fault.

 
At 10:56 AM, Blogger David said...

JPB - I'll certainly take a small amount of credit/ blame WHEN you guys get famous. :)

 
At 11:03 AM, Blogger Iris said...

Wow. CIL seems to spawn blogs. I started my blog after CIL last year, too.

 
At 11:21 AM, Blogger David said...

CIL spawned blogs rock!! We should start a club and all go out to the bar next year. Oh wait, we already do that...

 
At 11:37 AM, Blogger ruth said...

Thanks so much for the shoutout, DW.

I was pondering my personal and professional CiL experiences this morning and it all came down to this: You folks are professional in your work and joyous in your play. I like that I really like that.

 
At 11:50 AM, Blogger David said...

ruth - That is an awesome summary! Wonder if I can put that in ym annual review? ;)

 
At 6:43 PM, Blogger ruth said...

About that toolbar... We actually had it finished before we left DC! Once Hal mentioned the Conduit Web site, I was off and running to try it out. It's still in way-beta, but our director and PR person are enthusiastic.

 
At 8:02 PM, Blogger David said...

Wow! You learned something from a session and made it AT the conference. I'm very impressed since you were in the same places as me most evenings.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home